#fancer

#fancer

Monday, October 5, 2015

Thermography

When we started this journey last November, we quickly came to realize that we had to advocate for my health.  We have doctors that we trust, but there is not one doctor that we have not decided to go against something they said.  We quickly learned that my oncologist made some mistakes and I had a gut feeling about them, but didn't push it.  I now push.  I now ask questions.  I now know we need to research EVERYTHING.

A friend of mine from high school told me about thermography.  I filed it away until I could look into it.  I was finally able to do that about 3 months ago because I was due for a mammogram.

Before I tell you what I know about it, let me tell you about my first interview hoping to become a teacher.  I was asked all kinds of questions.  I knew the answers, but didn't use the "big" words while talking about them.  I left there thinking that I sounded like I didn't know what I was talking about.  (I did get the job!) I tell you that because when I explain thermography, I will not use the technical terms, but will tell the basics.  If you feel pulled in this direction, then please do your own research and make your decision.

Mammograms are not the best way to detect cancer.  I think that self exams are just as important.  Mammograms can cause cancer.  Mammograms have more radiation than we are led to believe.  Look at several different types of resources.  You can find five articles saying one thing and five articles saying the exact opposite.  Look at the resources and then listen to your gut.  Here is just one article.  We love Mercola!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/03/03/experts-say-avoid-mammograms.aspx

Thermography.  This is where my basic explanation will come in...

Thermography uses heat to detect activity.  Cells that are multiplying quickly show up.  The negative is that EVERYTHING will show up.  Arthritis, old injuries, etc show up as red.  Your test is sent off to doctors who read it.  But they don't always know what is causing the redness.  It is up to you to investigate and figure it out.

But what I found out about thermography is that it can detect changing cells 10 years sooner than a mammogram.  That is not a typo.  10 YEARS SOONER.  There is no radiation.  NONE.  I think that is enough to know, don't you?

It is not covered by insurance.  But it is anywhere from $250 - $600.  My first PET Scan was $1500 out of pocket.

The first question I usually get asked is: Why aren't doctors doing this then?  Because they cannot make money off of them.  I know I sound like a conspiracy person, but I have done research and have been told things by doctors and nurses.  And I will leave it there.

I will no longer be doing mammograms.  I will only do thermography.  I had my first one 2 months ago as a baseline.  I will have another one in a month to see how my cells are changing.  Then I will do one every year.  I did mine with Dr. Rosalind Gamba in Roswell.  She also offers Sure Touch.  I understand it as a ultrasound of the breasts.  Hard spots will show up immediately.

http://www.thermographyatlanta.com

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  I have posted about my thoughts on this month already.

http://raiseyourheads.blogspot.com/2013/10/pay-it-forward-breast-cancer-awareness.html

Please don't take that post the wrong way.  I am thankful for all the awareness.  But what got me writing that was that I have two friends who are Hodgkin survivors.  They cried to me as they shared that there weren't programs out there for them.  I got free wigs.  Free housecleaning.  Free lawn care.  Free make-up and help on how to apply it.  Etc, etc, etc.  We need to share the wealth so all patients of all illnesses/diseases can be supported.  I felt guilty as they shared.  My chemo experience was drastically different from theirs.  And it shouldn't have been.  Everyone should feel good during chemo.

Yes, this month is great to get young people and, others who don't know, to become aware of their bodies so they can hopefully escape this horrible disease.  We are bombarded with messages to get mammograms.  The message this month should be to get your breasts checked.  Whichever way you choose to get that done - mammogram or thermography.  Research and listen to your gut and take care of those breasts.

*I sent this to Dr. Gamba and she responded with this:  Good blog, But before you post please correct two things. Thermography does not find cancer and neither does mammogram.  Thermography is looking for excess activity and changes. Mammogram is after a lump that has formed as is SureTouch, which is not ultrasound. It is tactile and feels a lump with no radiation at almost half the size that a mammogram will find it. It enables you to see what you sometimes can not feel yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment