#fancer

#fancer

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Things a Cancer Survivor Gets To Do


Have you heard those radio commercials.  I think it is for Wellstar.  It talks about the things that cancer survivors get to do when they beat cancer.  The two I have heard are "playing hide and seek with your kids" and "teaching your child how to shoot a basketball".  I have been thinking about that these past few weeks.

One year ago today, I was holding my beautiful, yummy, newborn son.  I got to hold him and love him and smell him.  Something I got to do as a survivor.

We celebrated his first birthday on Saturday (because it was written in our marriage contract that no plans will be made during college football season).  We did The Very Hungry Caterpillar theme.  It was simple and sweet.  Something else I got to do as a survivor.

Cupcake caterpillar by mom and dad

Caterpillar with pictures from newborn to 11 months

Smash cake by mom and dad

Graphics done by Judy!

Food from the book

Cake by McEntyre's

Last minute addition - cute pipe cleaner caterpillars!



Lollipops from Oriental Trading and stickers by http://mcshanedesign.com/

I took Jack to his first day of school yesterday.  I didn't get to do that last year because I was in the hospital.  I was also able to take Charlie to his first day of school today.  I was very aware of the fact that I could not be here to do that.  But I am and I loved it.

I will get to see Charlie take his first steps.  I will hear him say his first words.  I will get to hear about everything that Jack has learned at school when I pick him up.  More things I get to do as a survivor.

Three weeks ago, I went to the beach with my family and my sister's family.  We did not grow up going on vacation, but my sister and I have always talked about doing an annual trip together.  This year we started that tradition and it was a pretty perfect week.  Seeing something you talked about and dreamed about come true - yet another thing I got to do as a survivor.




Tonight, my sweet family of four sang happy birthday to Charlie and ate cupcakes.  Things I have dreamed about and cancer tried to take away from me.  But it didn't and this survivor got to enjoy it.  Jason gave Charlie a kiss goodnight and said, "Happy Birthday, Sweet Boy.  Thank you for coming into our lives."  As I was walking up the stairs to put him to sleep, I was crying.  Yes, something else this survivor gets to do - to live a life that gives me heart smiles and tears at the same time.  I am one lucky girl.

2 comments:

  1. Here's to you SURVIVOR!! You rock and I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited to hear all the things you are doing and do as a survivor!

    ReplyDelete