#fancer

#fancer

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Dawn's Daily Diet

I have been getting tons of requests to blog about EXACTLY what I am eating in a day.  And what products I am using. It is very timely because my sister and I planned out a day's worth of food recently.  It took me about 2 weeks to actually follow it to a tee.  Like I said, being healthy is hard.  But worth it.


It is a rough draft and still in the works.  The times that we chose to eat revolved around my schedule on a Monday.  I have since made one of these for each day of the week.  I modified it according to what I typically have going on that particular day.

I am putting in a disclaimer that we are still learning EVERY day.  We are constantly finding out that something we thought was free of the nasties has a hidden ingredient or we just missed something.  So stay tuned for improvements.

According to http://foodbabe.com, I start off the morning with 8 ounces of warm water with half a lemon and some cayenne pepper.  This is to start up my metabolism and is supposed to curb your appetite for sweets.  I immediately follow that with 12 ounces of water.  Then I drink a green smoothie.  Right now that consists of only vegetables.  Green smoothies are better on an empty stomach.  I feel the energy boost when I drink it on an empty stomach.

Next I eat 1.5 cups of quinoa with 2.5 cups of raw veggies.  I get organic when I can.  Kroger is getting more and more organic.  That is where I shop.  I top it off with Chia seeds.  I get my quinoa from Whole Foods or Amazon.  Chia seeds from Amazon also.


Boil water and quinoa.  Once boiling, put top on and cook on low
for 15 minutes.  Let sit for 5 and enjoy.
These powerful little seeds aren't a strong taste.  

My protein shakes are delicious.  I use Whole Foods 365 Almond Milk.  (Please make sure your almond milk doesn't have carrageenan in it!!)  I add a scoop of protein powder (I only drink the vanilla because the chocolate adds sugar.  They have a coffee one, but I don't like coffee.), quinoa cereal flakes, and shake.  Sometimes I add ice, cinnamon, and nutmeg and put in in my NutriBullet.  So good.


I purchase this at Goodness Grocery or Whole Foods.  Whole Foods is about $7 more.

You can make your own almond milk too.  Or just use water.


I purchase this from Kroger.  Have to compare the price on Amazon.
Next is my wheat grass shot.  This consists of 2 ounces of juiced wheat grass, 1 ounce of lemon, and ginger to taste.  I love these shots!  I actually crave them.  I cannot wait to get my taste buds back as I am sure they will make them even better.  We purchased our juicer from Amazon.  The link is below.  Their customer service is wonderful!  We get the grass from Whole Foods.  Lemons and ginger from Kroger.

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-J8006-Nutrition-Center-Juicer/dp/B001L7OIVI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426778191&sr=8-1&keywords=omega+J8006



My sewer water is my alkalizer and detoxify drink that is not that good.

You can get this at Whole Foods and pay more or get it on Vitacost.com like I do.

For lunch I get to eat my lentil pasta.  There is quinoa pasta, but I don't like it.  Also, one of the packages said it contained a corn, which my body does not like.  Lentil pasta is so good and makes me feel normal when I eat it!  While it is cooking, I cut up avocados and tomatoes and place them in a bowl.  I top that with the pasta and a dressing my friend, JR, shared with me.  You will love it as much as I do!  I then put 1.5 cups of quinoa and 2.5 cups of veggies on top and chia seeds.  I have also used marinara sauce instead of the dressing.  Both ways are delicious!

Here is an article on the benefits of chia seeds:  http://authoritynutrition.com/11-proven-health-benefits-of-chia-seeds/

I have found this at Kroger, Costco,  and on Amazon.

Make sure your vinegars don't have bad ingredients.  I searched for a Red Wine Vinegar with no sulfates.  Found it at Kroger.  I usually skip the olive oil.  But if I do want to add something more, I substitute melted coconut oil.  The last time I made this dressing, I added basil.  So good!

I love Brussel sprouts.  That is great because they are great cancer fighters.  I make a bunch and keep in the fridge.  I will eat the cold, but will warm up depending on my mood.  I put coconut oil and salt on them and bake at 350 until the tops turn slightly brown.  I have also sautéed onions in coconut oil. Let them cool down.  Add the Brussel to coat with the onion and oil and then baked.  You can add all types of spices.

For dinner it is a big salad.  And I mean big!  We had to purchase bigger glass bowls (just used mixing bowls).  Lately I have been using cabbage instead of lettuce.  It takes time, but I have cut up uncooked Brussels sprouts (most veggies are better for you raw) and add them.  Then 1.5 cups of quinoa (I make a huge pot at the beginning of the week.), 2.5 cup of raw veggies.  Thanks Chop and Talk friends!  Most nights I add a wild caught 6 ounce piece of salmon also.  I use the above dressing and top with more chia seeds.

Mine is the bigger one.  LOL.  
My husband makes us another wheat grass shot after we put the boys down.

At 9, I have a snack of seeds or nuts.  I am usually still full, but try to get a couple handfuls down.  If you are going through chemo, you DO NOT want to go bed with a less than full belly.  That is when nausea will strike.

I drink at least 4 cups of tea a day.  I only drink teas that are USDA Certified.  I usually do 2 tea bags and lots of water at one time.  Makes it easier to get more in that way.

I also drink at least 100 ounces of Kangen water.  Nothing else besides my protein shakes.  I lucked out because I was a big water drinker before.  Not 100 ounces worth of a water drinker, but just carry around a (glass!!) water bottle wherever I go.

And there you have one day in the life of me.  It is a lot and preparation is key.  Having that sheet of paper hanging on my cabinet wall helps more than I can say.  If I am going to be gone for 3 or 4 hours, I can just look at the sheet to see what and when I should be eating.  That way I can pack it up and take it with me.

And, yes, with this #fancer diet, there is not much variety.  Which I think makes it easier.  It is about eating to live instead of living to eat.  When you have that mindset, the cravings aren't as big.  I will post some pictures and recipes of other types of food I have been eating while kicking cancer's behind.

I know some friends have said they want to try this.  Let's do it together.  Let's share what has worked and what hasn't.  Comment below so we can all learn together!

Happy eating and enjoy the way you feel.  It is pretty awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Just feeling great after knowing the dawns daily diet really nice and inspiring. Thanks for posting this blog here with us.

    ReplyDelete