#fancer

#fancer

Friday, April 5, 2013

Paleo Ketchup

I have been taking pictures of my Paleo meals and need to catch up and post them all.  I am excited because I have had 2 friends who expressed interest in learning more about this way of eating.  Jason has been great advertising.  He is down 20 pounds!  I have lost 12.  This is without exercise and still enjoying other foods in moderation. We both feel so much better.  The last component to overall health is getting a full night's sleep.  Come on, Charlie, help your parents out!

Here are some yummy recipes.  Let me know what you think!



Bacon Wrapped Chicken Before Oven
Finished with Brussel Sprouts





These are the original recipes.  I will add my changes in red.

BACON-WRAPPED SMOKY CHICKEN THIGHS

4 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (I used 5 chicken breasts)
8 slices of bacon (I used a whole package)
2 teaspoons Smoky Spice Blend
     -1 tablespoon chipotle powder
     -1 tablespoon smoked paprika
     -1 tablespoon onion powder
     -1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
     -1 tablespoon sea salt
     -1/2 tablespoon black pepper
Even though I used more chicken than the recipe called for, I still felt that it was a lot of spices.  Next time I will make this mixture, but only use enough to cover chicken and save the rest.

Preheat oven to 375.

Sprinkle chicken thighs with 1 teaspoon of Smoky spice Blend.  Wrap each thing in 2 strips of bacon.  (I used 3 for each breast) Sprinkle chicken with remaining spice bland and bake for approximately 40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165.  (Yet another reason I love this way of eating - I got to use something new - a meat thermometer!)



Fish and Broccoli



This is a great, easy recipe.  We usually eat this at least once a week.  There isn't even a recipe for it.  Fish in pan.  Add whatever spices you would like.  I usually do Mrs. Dash.  Jason likes it spicier so he adds chipotle, garlic and onion salt, and hot sauce.  You really can't mess it up.  Broccoli is frozen that we steam.  Fast, east, delicious, and so healthy!







Honey and Apple Tenderloin Over Cauliflower Mash Potatoes

I said that the Shrimp Curry was our favorite in a previous post.  We would like to rescind that statement.  This is our current favorite!  So yummy.

- 1 pork tenderloin (1.5 lbs) The second time I used a 4 lb tenderloin and added more of everything else)
-2 small apples or 1 large, chopped
-2 small onions, or 1 large, chopped
-1/4 cup chicken broth (I always add more broth b/c we like our stuff more soupy)
-1/4 cup honey
-1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon (optional) (don't know why you wouldn't!)
-salt to taste
FOR MASHED CAULIFLOWER
-1 head fresh cauliflower or 1 bag frozen
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 tablespoon olive oil
-1/4 cup of almond milk or dairy product of choice (used Jack's whole organic milk)
-salt and pepper to taste

1. Place tenderloin in crock pot
2. Chop and prepare apples and onions and place on top of tenderloin
3. Add spice, chicken broth, and honey.
4. Cook for 8 - 10 hours on low, covered
5. When ready to eat, steam cauliflower for 8 - 10 minutes.
6. Poor steamed cauliflower, oil, garlic powder, milk, and salt and pepper in the food processor and mash until creamy goodness. (I just mashed with folk.  Jason prefers it more creamy.)
7. Serve pork over creamy mashers and enjoy!



Cornish Hen in Crock Pot

I typed in paleo crockpot cornish hen and didn't really find a recipe I liked.  So I just made my own.  Another thing about Paleo - there are only so many ingredients you can use so you really can't mess it up.  I cut up an onion and put it in the crock pot.  Place the hens on top.  I did two hens.  Then added some beef broth, chopped red and yellow peppers, celery, and spices.  Put on low for about 6 hours and it was awesome.  I have never cooked a cornish hen before.  Add that to my list!

Crock Pot Meatballs over Spaghetti Squash

MARVELOUS MEATBALLS

I did not make that name up.  I found this online.  Just typed in paleo meatballs.  You can type in anything Paleo and recipes come up.  Just be careful.  There are a lot out there that claim to be Paleo, but they add sugar or other non-Paleo ingredients.

Mix together with your hands:
2 lbs of grassfed ground beef (I used organic Kroger beef)
1 lb of pork sausage (both times I made this, I forgot the sausage and still was great.  Will be better with the sausage though I am sure.  Also, only use 2 eggs if you don't have the sausage)
chopped celery, onions, and carrots
3 eggs
1/2 cup almond meal (first time I didn't have this.  second time I did.  Couldn't tell the difference)
lots of dried oregeno, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, and a little cayenne 
small drizzle of raw honey

Form into large meatballs and cover bottom of crock pot.  You may have to stack them depending on the size of your crock pot.

For the sauce, mis:

1 (16 oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste (didn't have this the second time so used Ragu sauce in jar)
a large handful of town fresh basil ( used dried)
5 - 6 coarsely chopped garlic gloves
a couple pinches of sea salt
cracked pepper to taste

Cover meatballs with tomato sauce and cook on low all day!  They were even better the next day for lunch.  (I cooked them for 8  hrs the first time and only 5 the second.)

Just a few recipes we have been enjoying.  One of my friends asked, "You are losing weight eating this?!"  Why yes, we are!

Have a great weekend.  Get out and enjoy the nice weather coming our way!


No comments:

Post a Comment