#fancer

#fancer

Sunday, March 24, 2013

My Name is Chicken Little and I Am Here To Get Fried

As always, the morning started off way too early, but knowing it was my last morning, I bounded (okay, maybe not...) out of bed to get ready for radiation.  Mother in law showed up and crawled back into bed.  I looked at her with jealously.  I grabbed my cookies and thank you cards, camera, radiation card, and keys and jumped in the car.  When I got to the office, Glenda was waiting for me.  This was a surprise and when I walked to the dressing room to get changed, the tears were already starting.  My wonderful techs called me back and they were excited for me.  Which only caused me to cry some more.  I got on the table for the last time.  A minute later we were done and it all seemed so surreal.  2 pictures were taken.  

                                                                What do you think?
                                                             2 of my awesome techs!

And I was done.  I was crying some more as I walked down the hallway to see my doctor.  I will go see her in 2 more weeks to check on my skin, but then I won't be back.

Taking off the stickers that covered my markers was so cathartic.  For the past 60 days, I wasn't able to forget that I had cancer because my markers reminded me every time I saw them.  My hair is finally coming back, my energy is coming back, I am starting to exercise, etc.  When I first got diagnosed, it was all consuming.  Thoughts of tumors and treatments and dying and fear.  Then I would go an hour and marvel that I hadn't thought about it.  Then came the hair loss and it was hard to forget.  My hair starting coming back in and I could forget as long as I wasn't near a mirror.  Then radiation at 6:30 and marks all over my chest to remind me once again.  Now I will only have my Herceptin treatments every 3 weeks until September to remind me.  I am almost there!

I got dressed and took the elevator back up and there was sweet Glenda with pretty roses and an even more beautiful smile for me.  Jason had balloons from my sisters and cards.  Darn it - more tears.  We asked Glenda to video me ringing the bell.


All I have left is Herceptin.  I go tomorrow morning at 8 and every 3 weeks until September.  Then the port comes out.  I do have to take a pill for five years and am hoping that goes well.  Knowing my luck, more side effects, but will take them happily knowing I am alive to feel them.

On the way home, the song I put in the background of my video was playing.  How appropro.  Through all this, I have felt Him and know that because of Him, I am going to be okay.  Now onto sleeping in - well, at least until 8!

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you, Dawn! You are so strong. Keep up the good work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celebrating this step in your journey with you! So proud of your strength, sense of humor, and trust in The Lord! So long cancer!!!

    ReplyDelete