#fancer

#fancer

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Blog-hogging

Okay.  Now it is my turn.  I only hope that I can express myself as well as my sister Dawn does.  Is this called blog-hogging?
Yes, Dawn is right.  I decided to do a bodybuilding show, but what I didn't know is that Dawn also decided to do a show with me.  Two weeks after my trainer picked a show, we realized that the date was wrong on the Internet.  We thought it was April 20.  It is April 13, which starts Dawn's "training."  Her and Jason, after some much-needed time together, decided they would take a vacation.  Well, when the show got changed, so did their vacation.  When I called to tell Dawn, she just laughed -- I mean laughed -- and said, "No worries.  We'll figure it out."  What that meant was they changed their vacation plans to just an overnight stay so that they can be here for my show.  So the training continued.... There is so much that goes into doing a show besides just training and cardio and eating right, etc.  Well, Dawn has just about taken over all of those extras, so that I can concentrate on what i need to do.  She's even become a mixologist and made my song for me.  She's downloaded my application, her boys have paid for my entrance fees, she has come to the gym to support me, arranged and paid for my makeup and hair to be done, sent out emails and arranged the tickets, encouraged me when I need it, planned my baby sister's shower around my show, and she said she'd even do my cardio 2x a day if she could :)  She has really helped me with the nervousness and stress by really understanding what I'm going through and "getting it."
Now, let's not forget that this is all on top of kicking cancer's ass, raising two beautiful, happy, adorable children, taking care of her home and husband, working, educating herself on better eating and a healthy future, doing her situps and pushups every night, planning birthday parties -- WHEW!  I'm tired just thinking about it. 
When Dawn was first diagnosed, as her big sister, I just didn't know what to do.  What do I say?  How do I act?  How can I make it all better?  Can I go beat someone up for her and teach them a lesson about messing with my little sister?  Please.... just tell me what I should do. 
Of course, no one has the answers, so I was just there.  There if she needed a babysitter, there if she needed some rest, there if she needed to vent, there if she needed to break down (which to this day, I have not seen), just there to walk this path with her and let her know how much I love her and am there for her.
As it turns out, that didn't seem to last long.  Somehow she got ahead of me and has been holding my hand through the last 6 mos.  How did that happen?  Well, that is Dawn.  Through all of this, she is still putting others first.  She is the true definition of
selflessness and grace.  I don't need to see what Webster's Dictionary says because I already know they have it wrong if her picture is not there. For those of us who are lucky enough to have Dawn in our lives, you already know what I'm talking about.  She has follow-through.  We all "think" about doing those special things for people we love.  SHE ACTUALLY DOES IT.  And that is what sets her apart, among a ton of other things.  She is the type of person we should all strive to be -- in so many ways.
They say you can't pick your family.  I sure as hell lucked out there.  Who could ask for anything more in a sister/friend/supporter?
And I could go on, but I think I've blog-hogged enough for now.
WE LOVE YOU, DAWN, MORE THAN YOU'LL EVER KNOW!!!
P.S.  Tomorrow is Dawn's last day of radiation!!  She will be ringing a bell at the hospital tomorrow approximately around 7:30 a.m.  I know we all can't be with her physically, but, Dawn, just know when you walk down that short hall, we all are there cheering for you!!  YOU DID IT, GIRL!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment