#fancer

#fancer

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Ring the Bell!

5 more days!  5 more days of getting up at the crack of dawn.  5 more days of waiting for my car to warm up and laughing when it finally does - as I pull into the parking garage.  5 more days of watching my skin get more orange.  5 more days of an itchy, red rash that gets worse every day.  5 more days of having to take a shower with the warm water hitting my back so my Sharpie marks and stickers don't come off.  5 more days!

March 20th at 7:15, this girl will get her last dose of radiation.  Starting tomorrow, we will do what they call a BOOST.  The last 28 treatments were on 2 cm below and 2 cm above my breast and into my armpit.  The BOOST will concentrate right where they found the cancer - under my breast.  I have a 3 inch scar where they took it out and that is where my new marks are and where the radiation will make its home.  I am sure my skin is not going to like its new residents, but it is only for a short time.  Kind of like renters.  After 5 days, those renters are going to be kicked out, thank you very much.  Too bad I can't collect rent....

Outside the hospital is a beautiful little garden.  There are chairs and tables and flowers everywhere.  In one of the flower beds, there is a bell.  When a patient finishes radiation, they ring the bell to signify the end of their radiation journey.


I cannot wait to ring that bell.  There is a short walk from the elevator to this garden - a short hallway.  I am going to picture all of you lined up cheering for me.  In my head, I will slap each of your hands as I walk to that bell.  I am going to feel like a rockstar for 5 minutes.  I may wake everyone up in Marietta as I ring that bell, but everyone should know that I am done.  I am done and I am still me because of everyone's support and prayers.  Yes, when I ring that bell, it will be because I am done with this part of my treatment.  But I will also ring that bell as a thank to everyone for walking with me.  Maybe I can get the church to ring their bell too.  Hmmmm....


2 comments:

  1. I'll ring one for you at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will set my cell phone alarm to bells just for you that morning. Ring it, girlie!!!

    ReplyDelete