#fancer

#fancer

Monday, November 10, 2014

Isn't It Ironic?

12 weeks of training.  12 weeks of getting up early to get my miles in before the boys woke up.  12 weeks of getting excited about running this race.  And I wasn’t able to run it…

I ran my first half marathon in 2007.  I ran it for two reasons.  The younger brother of one of my student’s was diagnosed with leukemia when he was 1.  His mother started training with Team in Training and I thought that was awesome.  Then one of my best friends was killed in a car accident.  I was having a hard time with that loss and someone suggested I do something for closure.  So I signed up to run a half marathon. 

Enjoying a bagel after a long run down by the river.


Running really wasn’t my thing.  I had tried several times to “become” a runner, but it wasn’t happening.  Now I had two reasons to push myself.  When I didn’t think I could run anymore, I thought about that sweet little boy going through treatments.  I could do this for him.  I thought about my friend, who was training for a marathon when he was killed, who didn’t cross the finish line.  These two helped me push past my comfort zone.  The training was tough on my knees and I said that it was going to be my last marathon.  

Then came cancer.  And I decided I needed to run another one and dubbed it my f^%$ cancer race.  I had two friends who said they were going to train with me and cross that finish line with me.  I often cried thinking about these amazing girls and what they were doing for me.  

So we started training.  I felt surprisingly strong.  In 2007, I had to put frozen pees on my knees after my long runs.  I walked like an old woman for a couple days after those long runs.  This time?  Not one pack of frozen pees was needed.  This time when I ran, I thought about the fact that I was alive and healthy.  I thought about how horrible I felt going through chemo and how unbelievably tired I was all the time.  I thought about missing out on my baby’s tiny moments because I was in the bathroom for hours.  It felt so good to be outside and pushing my body.  A body that was finally feeling normal and STRONG.  


Same river 7 years later!


The week before the race, I was so excited.  And emotional.  I pictured crossing that finish line with my girlfriends.  I pictured my family waiting for me.  I pictured how I would feel finishing this race.  I pictured myself bawling like a baby.  The only part that I was right about were the tears.  I cried on Saturday, but because I was too sick to run the race.

Wednesday before the race I had an annoying cough.  But it was just a cough.  I could handle running with a cough.  Then Thursday came and I had the aches and chills and swimmy head.  Friday we drove to Savannah and I was eating vitamin C like it was candy.  That night, I put my timing chip on my shoe, laid out my race clothes, and went to bed praying I would feel better.  I woke up several times with chills and coughing fits.  At one point, I woke up and my eye was sealed shut.  I think that is when I realized I was not going to run.

The first marathon was for my two friends and to say that I could do it.  This one was because I wasn’t sick anymore and was feeling so alive.  Pretty ironic that I was too sick to run it.  But I think that is why I didn’t feel horribly guilty for not running.  I felt guilty, but knew I had made the right decision.  Even if I had somehow managed to run 13.1 miles, it wouldn’t have been pretty.  It would have been awful.  And that wasn’t the point of me doing this race.  I wanted to run it because I felt so good.  

I have signed up for another half on Dec. 14.  It is here in Atlanta.  I am going to rest and hit the ground running (pun intended) on Sunday.  

                                                                 http://jeffgalloway131.com


4 weeks of training.  4 weeks of getting up at 5 to get my miles in before the boys wake up.  4 weeks of getting excited about running this race.  But this time, I am going to run it. 

My wonderful, supportive friends.

2 comments:

  1. You are one of the strongest women I know! I am so sorry you weren't able to run this race that you were looking forward to. I think it's ironic that I wasn't really planning on running this race (mostly I was going to Savannah for girls weekend) but somehow I managed to run it. God always has a plan and maybe his plan was to have me run it for you, your strength got me through! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE you, D! Let's go get another one.

    ReplyDelete